A healthy ocean is important, it generates the oxygen we breath, puts food on our plate and absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
- Just 5- 10 % of all the plastics we produce are recycled
- 50% are buried in landfall, and much washes out to sea
8 millions tonnes of plastic are estimated to enter the ocean every year
- 250 million tonnes of plastic will be polluting the ocean by 2025
- 5 - large systems of rotating currents called Gyres where plastics accumulate in huge ocean garbage patches
- Sunlight and waves fragment plastics into tiny particles called micro plastics
- Plastic debris leaches toxins, entangles marine life and bioaccumulates in the food chain, choking our oceans